I've put a list together to help you find the right support system. It will also let you know if the person you think is there for may be lacking a few qualities.
- Honesty: This is the most important thing to me. I believe if the person was truly there for you they will be honest and help you make the right choices.
- Trustworthy: You should trust this person to the highest extent. You want to know that what happens between you two or what you tell them will stay between the both of you.
- A Phone Call Away: When you are in need, you want this person to be there at that moment. You shouldn't have to wait forever for a call back or wait forever to see them.
- Doesn't Judge You: Who wants to speak to someone that judges you. Regardless if they agree with what your doing they should never pass judgment. They are not you and shouldn't want you to be like anyone other than yourself.
- Not a Debbie Downer: You never should have someone close to you that always sees the negative in every situation. It's nothing like getting excited about something to only have someone rain on your parade all the time.
- Close to you: This person should be a permanent fixture in your life. You should not depend on someone that is in and out your life on the regular.
There can definitely be more factors to how you find your support system but I feel these are the most important. Hopefully these can help you on your journey in life.