Tuesday, September 4, 2012

You Used to Be Fat Too!!!!!

So over the weekend it was Global United Plus Size Day. I did not create the event but I definitely did my part to help spread the word. As I scrolled through my personal Facebook status updates I saw a comment that got me very upset. It was from a younger girl that I know. Her status said something to the effect of "Who created a national plus size day, someone need to tell these chick to get off their fat asses and lose weight". I got upset for two reason.


The first was, how dare anyone speak on a situation that isn't their own. Are we not allowed to embrace the fact that we are larger women. Is it not ok that we chose not to hide and want to help others understand size acceptance. It kills me that people judge just by looking at someone. I know that everyone judges everyone but like my mother always said; "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all". So what you don't like the fact that someone created a day for plus size people. Negative comments will not change anything.

The biggest reason I got upset is because this girl used to be extremely over weight. She was a very large girl to the point that one day she broke my cousin's bed just by sitting on it. Over the few years as she grew up she lost weight. She is not skinny but I would say she is slim. Did she forget she used to be morbidly obese. Do she think she is better than other fat people because she lost the weight. I was beyond pissed. One of my motto's is Don't Forget Where You Came From. She clearly needs to remember how it felt when people talked about her and made fun of her. Whatever reason made her lose weight is her own reason to lose weight. Not everyone that is over weight actually wants to lose it. Some are just happy the way they are. According to her we shouldn't help empower and encourage others to embrace their body. This is wrong on so many levels.

We must not forget what it feels like to be teased and hurt by others because of our size. I know words could hurt but it is all ignorance. People like this may or may not learn to understand size acceptance but as long we stay proud and embrace our bodies and lives their comments cant break you down.

Like always I'm here for support and stay strong ladies

Peace & Love

No comments:

Post a Comment