Saturday, September 22, 2012

Words Really Hurt

So yesterday I posted videos of plus size women dancing to Beyonce's "Dance For You". For the most part I received positive feedback. The videos were not to show how good or bad the girls dance. It was not post to see how their outfits looked either. The purpose of the videos was to show how these women embraced their bodies and had the confidence to put a video out there of themselves.

I had a conversation with two women (they are not plus size) about one of the videos. I ended up being very upset and annoyed. While I kept saying I wanted to show how confident these ladies were, all they could talk about was how bad the video was. After a while I just stopped trying to explain and let them continue to talk and make fun of these women. Just because I was not in the video doesn't mean my feeling couldn't be hurt by the negative comments.


I am just as big as some of the girls in the video and unless you have ever been in our shoes will never understand how courageous it is to post a video like this. One of the girls I was talking to even said she's happy these girls are up and moving because they need the exercise, like REALLY????? You don't know these women. Not all big girls are lazy and unhealthy. Yes I know it takes unhealthy habits to become overweight BUT one can change her life around and results can happen very slow depending on a lot of factors.

Their comments affected me to the core. I am still burning up about it. How can you talk bad about a plus size girl to another plus size girl?????? How crazy is that. That just makes me feel that you feel the same way about me.

People are so brainwashed about overweight people it is sad. I can't believe that being around these girls my whole life hasn't changed their opinions on plus size people. That is one of the main reasons I created Size Fabulous to educate and promote size acceptance. It will definitely be a long struggle to change peoples views but I'm ready for the fight.
---------------------------
Update

I had a really good conversation with one of the girls. She apologized and explained her point of view. We are on the same page as far as negative comments go and we had agreed to disagree. Size Fabulous isn't something she cant relate to and therefor cant support it the way I do, which is totally fine. I'm just happy we were able to talk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment