Thursday, July 18, 2013

Obese & Pregnant or Should I Say Obese with a Ton of Medical Problems & Pregnant

So a couple days ago I was watching a show on the discovery health channel called "Obese & Pregnant" I love watching all types of pregnancy and baby shows. I have not seen this show before and thought it would be interesting to see plus size women like myself go through their birthing journey. The show ended with me being very upset. They did not focus on the joy of being pregnant at a larger size, they instead focused on medical issues the women either had before, during, or after having a baby. There was not one women that did not have a normal and healthy pregnancy. That's what really bothered me.

There is plenty of plus size women who has not had children yet and was probably scared to have any after watching this show. It saddens me that no matter what the topic is, if a person is overweight they will mainly focus on the medical issues you can get or already have. Can we not still enjoy giving the gift of life without someone focusing on obesity related issues. I an so sick of listening to people give the speach of you can only be healthy if you loose weight. I am not blind to the fact that people do develop health issues because of their weight but that does not apply to everyone.

I could have been great on this show. I have 3 children, 2 of which are twins and I have never had a medical issue before, during, or after my pregnancies. With my first child, I believe my weight got up to around 290 something. This was the heaviest I have ever been and I did loose 60 pounds after. Carrying twins was no joke, my delivery weight was 314. My pregnancies were all full term, I had Kennedi natural without any meds. I did have to have a c-section with the twins but only because they both wouldn't stay head down. After birth my weight went down to 274 and I will admit that it is not as easy to get back down to my pre-pregnancy weight as my life is completely different and more hectic. The weight I am today is my heaviest without being pregnant but I am still healthy.

36 weeks pregnant with my twins

There are many other women like me that has successful and healthy pregnancies and births. This show was so disappointed and only further pushed the stigma that with a heavier size comes health problems. The ending credits gave a very brief update but highlighted that the women lost x amount of pounds. Was that really necessary??? Could they just have an update on mommy and baby??? As a plus size person we have a long way to go to get people to accept our size. Weight loss, weight gain, and maintaining a certain should be at the discretion of the one individual not other peoples opinions. I am all for a healthy life style but you have to make the right decisions for yourself. Maybe we will see a plus size woman on this show that doesn't bring up weight as an issue...I'll wait....

3 comments:

  1. You looked amazing! I gained 90 pounds with my twins and weighed 250lbs. I felt huge but beautiful!

    ReplyDelete