Thursday, June 5, 2014

Plus Size Celebrities and The Plus Size Clothing Industry....Sigh

Actress Melissa McCarthy will be creating a plus size clothing line, which many of us will be very excited to see and purchase. She recently did an interview with  Redbook on her reasons for creating the line and It actually made me a little angry.

Melissa stated,
“When I go shopping, most of the time I’m disappointed. Two Oscars ago, I couldn’t find anybody to do a dress for me. I asked five or six designers—very high-level ones who make lots of dresses for people—and they all said no.” 
Here's the thing, There are many and I do mean MANY plus size designers that would have been honored to make a dress for Melissa. The problem I have is that many celebrities are either unaware of their options or think that if their dress isn't made by a specific designer it will not be as fabulous.

How many times have we seen celebrities like Melissa McCarthy, Gabourey Sidibe, Rebel Wilson and countless others face problems when it comes to killer fashion on the red carpet. I am always left feeling like how...why....

I find it hard to believe that none of these women are able to at least get to a computer and pull up the internet to find better options. But, as much as it is the celebrity responsibility it is their stylist responsibility. As a stylist your job is to make sure your client has every option possible. If the stylist is not able to make things happen then they should be fired. There is a reason the plus size fashion industry is a billion dollar industry. There are amazing designers out there! There is no reason for them to be on the red carpet in anything less than stunning like these numbers below,


This should be an every day occurrence specially since they have the financial means to make it happen. I know when starting out things can be rough, however, their options should never be limited and/or unfashionable....

I just had to vent a little bit, LOL. Being a stylist that caters to plus size women was mainly because I know the struggle we face to look good. There are always options and solutions to looking fabulous.

How do you feel about this???

No comments:

Post a Comment