Tuesday, February 12, 2013

They Mean Well But........


So I made a promise to myself that if I eat healthy without cheating on any meals for four weeks I will reward myself by buying a pair of shoes without looking at the price tag. I think this will be great motivation as I am a very frugal shopper. I shared this with someone close to me and although they were happy for me they also said they will treat me to my favorite dessert after the four weeks. It actually made me more upset than excited.

I knew that he meant well and he didn't understand why that made me upset. I had to explain to him that my rewards will not be foods I am trying to stay away from. There are healthier options out there. We went back and forth for a bit because he didn't see the problem. He also doesn't have weight issues so he will never understand what I go through. I know there are many people who go through the same issue.

You have a friend or family member that means well but are going about it totally wrong. It can be very hard for them to understand where you are coming from. Until they walk in your shoes they will never understand. The important thing is to talk to them about it. They have to learn about your needs and wants. No one is a mind reader and you can't expect them to be. You have to get to a mutual understanding so they will no longer try to influence you negatively. Don't think that they are mean you have to understand that they just don't understand. It will get better stay strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment