Monday, February 11, 2013

The Topic We Will Never Agree On


A doctor recently made headlines about how she feels about Gov. Chris Christie being too over weight to become president. She thinks that he will die in office due to health conditions he will get. Now he doesn't have any known health conditions but because he is obese he has to get something ...right.

This brings up that debate that will never go away. Simply because you are overweight you will eventually get a variety of health conditions, but that is not entirely true. Yes being overweight can cause certain health issues....BUT.... not everyone will get them. To assume that all "fat" people will develop diabetes, high blood pressure, have a heart attack and many other conditions is ridiculous.

We run the same risk of health conditions that skinny people have. Just because your body is low on the BMI scale does not equal healthy. I hear it all the time about how I need to lose weight or that the things that happen to me is because of my weight. Nine years ago I had to get my gal bladder removed and everyone said it was because I was over weight, but that next year a close friend of mine, who is an athlete, had hers removed. She didn't get the same backlash that I did and hers must just be a fluke that happened.

We will never agree on weight and health. What I think is the biggest factor is the lifestyle you live. I know no matter how healthy you can be there are always some things that can happen but if you live a healthy life style you can lower your risk. I am in the process of losing weight but not to be skinny but to be healthy. That is what we strive for.........HEALTH AT EVERY SIZE.

3 comments:

  1. Yes!!! Except that HAES does not advocate intentional weight loss. Check out Linda Bacon's book, "Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight." A revolutionary read, especially for women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey Yes! I couldn't believe that when I heard it. Christie is actually very healthy despite his size. He doesn't have health issues. Some people just need to stay in their lane.

    www.curviebirdie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with this. The topic infuriates me all the time!! xx

    ReplyDelete