Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My Article for Syracuse Woman Magazine

I am featured in this months issue of Syracuse Woman Magazine. Check out my article.....

I have been preparing myself for this presentation for two weeks. The day has arrived for me to stand in front of my colleagues and I become extremely nervous. I am not nervous because I have to give a presentation, I am nervous because I have no idea what they will think of me based on my appearance. All I can think about is the fact that I am the only plus size woman in the room.

Will I be perceived with disapproval or disgust? Will anyone compare me to my colleague on the right who is attractive enough to be in Vogue? I have no idea, but right as I stand up I have to laugh at myself. I have no reason to think less of myself than any other woman in the room. I am not plus size, I am Size Fabulous! And at that very moment, I know the way I present myself through the way I dress speaks for itself and commands their attention. I will be respected and my presentation will be a success.

Being a full-figured woman, I understand the daily struggles we have to achieve our goals. One of the most important factors is how you present yourself. I have found that your clothing choices have a major impact on your mood, your confidence and your self-esteem. My company, Size Fabulous, teaches plus size women how to dress with confidence. We equip women with the knowledge and tools to dress without limitations.

The first rule of thumb is to focus on items that will look appropriate and flattering for your specific body type. Although you may find a fabulous item you would like to wear, it may not provide the perfect silhouette. For example, if you’re a rectangular shape, you should look for items that have or will give you the illusion of a cinched waist. If you have an hourglass figure, almost anything will look good on you. You have the perfect balance so don’t be afraid to reach for that pencil skirt you have your eye on!

The second rule is to feel comfortable in your clothes. Remember the 3 C’s: Curvy, Comfortable, and Confident. If you have never worn a skirt, it’s OK, the more comfortable you get, the more confident you will become. Always keep variety in your closet. Who wants to wear pants every day? I know I don’t. Items that are a “must have” for your closet are different styles of pants (straight leg, boot-cut and skinny leg), a variety of skirts (varying in length), a variety of tops (blouses, sweaters, peplum, long- and short-sleeve), and a variety of dresses (also varying in length).

The last rule, which I enjoy the most, is to have options of different colors, patterns and prints. Nothing gets me more excited than going through a rack of clothes with nothing in black. Although black should be included in your wardrobe, wearing bright colors and bold prints not only looks fabulous but it can also be a confidence booster and put you in a better mood. Don’t shy away from exploring and wearing prints and colors you haven’t worn before.

It is all about dressing with confidence. Regardless of your size, be it zero or Size Fabulous, never limit your options. When you dress with confidence not only will you look good, but you will speak, walk and present yourself with confidence. You’ve heard of the term “dress for success,” right? Whether your look is edgy, classic, chic, vintage or casual, let your confidence overflow and success will be knocking at your doorstep!

View the entire magazine online at http://issuu.com/syracusewomanmag/docs/swm_may2013issue/1

No comments:

Post a Comment